Monday, October 12, 2009

i'm still here.

many apologies to you all. it has been a few months since my last update, and i’m sorry to have left you all wondering if i had fallen off the face of the planet. life continues to change and evolve with each day here; some days crawl, some days fly by, some days are fantastic, some days are quite hard. but with each day that passes, i am learning so very much and loving my community here.


the reason i haven’t written in awhile is because i have been trying to figure out how to do it. it’s something our team has wrestled with and talked through. we want to share our lives with all of our friends and family back home but it’s difficult seeing as how the bulk of what we do involves other people’s stories. and we don’t feel like we have the right to broadcast others’ stories. we don’t want to do anything to jeopardize our relationships with our friends in boystown or betray the trust that has been built there. so please, bear with us as we figure out how to go about sharing about life here. we’re more than happy to fill you in on our construction progress as we prepare to move into aquiles, and i will do my best to share other aspects of my life with you. if you have any questions about what i do here, please feel free to email me and i’ll be happy to share more with you.


kelly and zach’s portion of team housing is coming along. they’re hoping to move into the house in the next few months, so zach is working hard to get it finished! as soon as they are settled, he’ll get to work on finishing up a portion for adri and i to live in. we’re hoping within the next year, we will also be living out in aquiles. we are so excited to live with our friends and neighbors in the neighborhood.


me in front of team housing

kelly & zach's upstairs with walls finally up!

kelly & zach's downstairs



our summer was pretty busy, as we had construction teams from the states in and out, working on the house. i spent a lot of time with friends in boystown as well. it was a difficult summer, as our team faced challenges inside and outside of boystown. at times, i really struggled with feeling overwhelmed with life here...with the language barrier, with the situations our friends find themselves in, with the season our team is in right now.


but despite all of the difficulties of this summer, i am finding that if for nothing else, i am here to understand how much God loves me. i thought i was coming here to love on my friends in reynosa (and i am here to do that), but the joke is really on me. i believe he has drawn me down to this place to show me how much he loves and cares for me. until we have some sort of understanding of the depth of the father’s love for us, it is difficult to properly love him back or to love our neighbors. in the midst of all the chaos i sometimes feel my life is in at times, God is right by my side, loving me through all of it. and as i begin to really understand that, everything changes.


so i’m still here, learning about love and growing with my friends here. i sometimes fumble through life here, but i grow more confident each day that i am not alone in this. i have a wonderful team and family down here and a God who loves me more than i could ever imagine.

6 comments:

Jill Hardin said...

Thanks for the update! It is always good to hear about your life. And the housing is looking great! What a labor of love. Love you, girl!

Leslie said...

So good to catch up on what is going on down in Reynosa! Totally understand what you are saying about stories...I'm sure that is such a hard balance to find. Praying for you!

Lindsey said...

Emily! So good to hear from you! I think about you often, and never forget what a sweet connection I will always have with you! Praying for daily! I would love to hear more specifics on how I can pray! Way to work for His Kingdom! You're so beautiful!

Tim Way said...

Beautiful, Emily. Great to hear from you and get a small update on your life in Reynosa. God bless you!

Ashley said...

Emmy, thanks for the update. I love reading them. I miss you a whole whole lot right now... but it is really comforting to hear how things are going. The place looks great - I'm sure Kelly and Zach (and Zelly - that's what they should name the new one) are excited. I love you and I'm praying for you.

-A

Sarah Gibson said...

Emily...the housing looks awesome. I haven't been on your blog in a long time and I just got back onto here. I'm glad I did! I would love to catch up with you sometime. Although it's been awhile I think about you daily and love you so very much. Sending you love across the ocean. :)

Sarah